Friday, November 4, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 4

This morning, I had a great writing session. I've been engaged in the writing since the start of NaNoWriMo, but today was the first time since November 1st that I was really inside the scene. Other writing sessions, there have been interruptions, or I've been preoccupied, eyeing the clock to make sure I'm staying on schedule. This morning was solid hour of writing where the real world fell away and I was right in that room with my characters, walking around amongst them. It's an exciting feeling to feel that the story is already there in your mind, you just have to get out of the way and get it down on paper.
Some days, sitting at the laptop and getting the story to come out can be painful. Those days, the writing doesn't come easy and often, that's when your personal Critic comes in and starts telling you to give up. Other days, the writing feels effortless. Days like this remind me why the difficult days are worth it. And you have to get through those not-so-easy writing sessions to break through to the great ones.
That's what's great about NaNoWriMo - if I didn't have this goal to write every day and to write the next 50,000 words of my novel by November 30th, I probably wouldn't have been at my laptop at 6 o'clock this morning.

Words written today: 2,240
Total NaNo 2011 word Count: 8,689
Words to go: 41,311
Total Novel word count: 33,141,
Percent Complete: 17%