Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 Kickoff: Day 1

Today marked the kickoff of National Novel Writing Month 2011. My goal for this year is to write the next 50,000 words of (and hopefully finish) the second half of the draft of my novel. I knew I couldn't just wake up on November 1st and pick up where I left off from the last time I wrote (which was over a week ago.) So last night, I prepared by doing some outlining. It got me thinking of the progression of the second half of the story, and how I will lay everything out. This is one thing I got hung up on last year that prevented me from reaching the 50,000 word goal. Now that I have more clear direction, I think 50,000 will be more achievable.

I set the alarm an hour earlier than usual to give myself some time to write before heading to the office this morning. By the time I hit the snooze a few times, fired up the laptop and made a cup of coffee, I was nearly a half-hour late getting started. I was able to write 999 words in about forty-five minutes, 668 words shy of the daily goal.

I was a bit discouraged by that low number. But I came home from work, fired up my laptop again and exactly twelve hours after my morning writing session, started writing again. Despite some technical difficulties and a reboot, I wrote another 1009 words for a total of 2008 words today. Now I'm back on track.

Words Written Today: 2,008
Words to go to 50,000: 47,922
Total Novel word count: 26,460
Percent Complete: 4%

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of National Novel Writing Month has to bring!