Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rafaella Borasi, Dean of The Warner School

In college, when I told people I was an English major, I almost always got the response: "Oh, so you want to be a teacher?" To which I would respond: "No, a writer." But that's not to say I haven't considered a career in teaching.

In college, when I thought of being a teacher, I could only think of late nights staying up grading papers written by kids who were bored to death by Shakespeare and Dickins.

I'm a little older now, and while I'm not a mom I am an aunt to two young girls. I care about their education, and as a book nerd, I want them to love to read. So now when I think of being an English teacher, I think of it as an opportunity to instill a love of reading and an appreciation for literature in a child. Idealistic? Perhaps.

But after interviewing Rafaella Borasi, Dean of the Warner School of Education at the University of Rochester, I am reminded of the importance of good educators. It’s not only what our children are learning at school but how they are being taught – that too, will stick with them.

The Warner School offers an incredibly opportunity for future educators to be innovators and change the way we look at teaching our children. Click Here to read about it in the September 2011 issue of Rochester Woman Magazine.
Dean Rafaella Borasi of The Warner School
by Jennifer Magar
as printed in Rochester Woman Magazine, September 2011